September 22, 2007

Never too late to learn something new

One day about 2 1/2 years ago, Eric said to me "Mom, I've read more books than you have your whole life!" That one line got me to thinking about how right he was. That bothered me, since it was true. We would get these progress reports back from Eric's school saying he reads 190 words per minute. And that he retains what he has read, specific & detailed information that he can recount if asked. Eric loves to read. Plain and simple. Not only does he love to read, almost obsessed with reading, can't get enough of it, he is bothered when he has to stop to do something else. He reads an average of 5 books a week. Fact that he has read the Harry Potter series 3 times each at an average of 500 pages per book, finishing Deathly Hallows in just 2 days...it amazes me! I could never figure it out, though, what the big deal was. I was never a reader, I didn't see it as enjoyable. When I was younger, Rocky would be reading a book and I would ask him about it, but I never thought to pick one up and find out what the big deal was.
About the same time Eric had said that line to me, one evening, Brent told me about a book he was reading that Chris Lawler told him about, he said he "couldn't put down!" He was so scared, and intrigued by the story, he said he felt as though he was right there in the room with the characters. He said, "Tina, you have to read this!" Finally, I agreed to. The book was called The Taking, by Dean Koontz.
Ok, so not only did this book scare the crap out of me, I was definately in the the room with the characters, and could not only see all that they could see, but smell all that they were smelling. It took me just 3 days to read it... on my lunch hour, the moment I got home, and every second I could in between. Great thriller!
When I finished The Taking, I went straight to the library (had to get a new library card, since I didn't own one) and checked out another book of Koontz's. Ever since then, I have been hooked. I love to read, it's hard for me to think of all the wasted time I have spent watching tv or doing nothing, when I could have been reading. Now, I see. Now, I get it. And I understand Eric's passion. What's more important, is that since I began reading, I am faster! Now, when I sit in class and have to read an article, or I am at home and I have to read 4 chapters, it is easier for me. I watch people in my class struggle to finish that same article I am reading or see them finish minutes after me, while I think to myself "maybe I skipped a page?" "why am I always finished first?"
A little lesson, huge reward. Brent knows that I have great potential and great skill, it's just applying them that will enable our family to do great things. I totally agree. I think I would be struggling right now, if I had to spend more time trying to just read a chapter, than just reading it and being able to retain it. So, thank you Eric, thank you Brent, and thank you Dean. You've made a world of difference and opened my eyes up to many exciting worlds!
Although, I have read other books in the last 2 years, I tell people, whenever I get the chance to find one of Dean Koontz's books, or ask them which have they read? I am hook on him! He is a fantastic writer, and I have enjoyed many of his novels, thus far.

8 comments:

The Richardsons said...

I totally know what you mean! I am so addicted to reading, but I think I am a little more on the Eric side of things. I love getting lost in things that I will never experience in life. I should try out those books you are reading!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
Glad to know I'm not the only one addicted to reading! (I read close to 30 books this summer...well, 20+ and I read 3 of them twice, and one 3 times) Have you read False Memory? It's another Koontz book, one of his older ones. Anyway, I love the blog - it's great to see you guys are doing well. Linda

Anonymous said...

omg... I can't believe you've entered the land of the reading! I'm so excited. I have about a million and a half books to share with you but I guess you have your hands full now with school. Whoopee!, by the way! So, excited for you! Don't forget to invite me to your graduation! It looks like you're gonna finish first after all. Dang! Alana
(I'm not gonna sign up for another freakin' email account... Geez!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina, I got into reading after reading Steven King's "Christine".
I love Barbara Cartland, reqency romance stories. They are short and she wrote over 500 and she makes you feel like you are there, where ever there may be (England, India etc.) glad your doing good in school. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Good job you new little reader! It's cool to hear about Eric! Glad you're doing well! Jenn

The Richardsons said...

You have to check out this video on my friends blog http://bruesekefamily.blogspot.com/ It is for med students, but I think it applies to you too!

Amber said...

Glad you liked the video! I thought it was hilarious. Also, it's fun to meet other people through blogs! Good luck with the nursing program - it's always hard, but worth it when you pass NCLEX! I took both NCLEX-PN and NCLEX-RN, so I know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

You can kill two birds with one stone, read Patricia Cornwell - it is a mystery medical murder writer. The character, Dr. Kay Scarpetta, is a medical examiner and you can get some insight into the stuff we are studying plus enjoy a good murder/mystery thriller!

Tresa Randall


Glad you are here! Please enjoy!
You know me...I am one to write as much as I talk, so please keep scrolling in case you missed something new...I tend to write a few blogs at a time!